Sunday, January 29, 2012

This one goes to 11

Finally Saturday was a real long distance run. 11 miles is a true long run, or st least the beginnings of one. I started at about 8:20am when the sun was already out but the temperature still hovered at only around 23F. I think I must've been overly tired from not getting home the night before until 2AM, but it didn't feel as cold as it probably should have. The run took me along the Wasatch front, Wasacht Blvd. to Foothill and I ran along Foothill until Sunnyside Ave, 5.5 miles away. I finally got to checkout the footpath between the highway interchanges, but the cool views from it weren't enought to make up for the icy hell the path was covered with. I was running and praying for my ankles. Thankfully the Parleys crossing is short and the sidewalk on Foothill was mostly ice free. The run out was decent but I couldn't keep worrying about the fact that most of it was downhill. Not a big hill, but for the second 5.5 miles to be mostly uphill no matter how slight is still a bit painful. Bringing me to a point of wanting to quit somewhere half way through the return. At points I felt I was running at a snail's pace. Thankfully the cold made walking impossible, and my pride made hiding in a coffee shop unacceptable, so I kept running and enjoying the flats as much as possible. By the time I made it to the top of the last incline before the crossing though my mood towards the run did another 180 and I was loving it, even the fairly steep up to the top of the crossing above the highways. I sucked it up, picked up my pace and was determined to make it home in under two hours. The iPod indicated that my whole run lasted 1h 58min, but I started it a couple of minutes before I left the house, and there were of course a few street lights I had to wait for so I rounded the time for my 11 miles to 1h 55min, giving my an average pace of approximately 10.5, decent :) Today was power yoga with Dana, which was subbed by Abby. Abby is a hell of an athlete and wored me of, but I actually got a compliment on my plank on my elbows. Yea.. Damn straight. I rock the plank on the elbows. Now for Log Haven!

No comments:

Post a Comment