Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cold Adventure

        It felt cold at the house at 35, there must be some humidity in the air. At the trail head the temp dropped down to 22F and it was going to be first time trying the Vibrams on snow with the Injinji toe socks. I was pretty sure I would make it to the bridge, if that and top out at 3 miles. Once I started running two things surprised me, my hands were starting to go numb from the cold but my toes were incredibly toasty and comfortable. My hands have not frozen yet in my gloves, it must've been seriously cold. I ran the first mile with my hands in my armpits marveling at how comfortable and warm my feet were. By the time I came to the uphill circulation was back to my hands and I was pulling off my windbreaker. My feet still warm, but the socks are something to get used to. Merino wool is a bit slippery so the Vibrams didn't feel like they fit as snugly around my heals, but since I don't hit the ground with them anyway I guess it doesn't really matter. We were flying, even Hijack! We made it three miles out, maybe even more in about 26 minutes. Flying. Both dogs right behind me.

      We stopped for a second at the bend to peak into the salt lake valley bellow. When I said we stopped to look, I mean I stopped enjoyed the view of the sky turning pink as night was approaching as the dogs impatiently waited form my decision on direction. Satisfied with my nature moment we headed back. I sprinted at first to convince them that this is the correct way and it was time to head to the car. Once they caught up with their joyous gallop we slowed down and settled into what I thought would be my pace for the way back excited to see my time. Suddenly Murphy took off the trail up the hill towards some jagged looking bushes at the top. I slowed down to see what he was chasing just to watch as the bushed started moving their ears. Yes ears. But it wasn't the bushes, there was literally a dozen or more deer hiding in them. They were all on top of the ridge collecting the last bits of sun rays for the night. All Murphy saw, however, was dinner! And off he went. At first I was a amused, then he didn't stop, then he disappeared. I ran around the next corner to see if maybe he popped out on the other side, I saw no dog and just heard a long howl off in the distance. And then I saw the excitement in Hijack's eyes just for a split second before he too took off up the mountain. And here I was in the middle of a trail, with no one around, the sun setting, the temperature dropping and no dogs. Panic. Just a moment. I knew Hijack would come back, but as I ran back and forth and up and down the hill, yelling Murphy's name on the top of my lungs, I couldn't stop thinking that if I left him here he would freeze, but if I stayed I might freeze too. I was dressed for running not mid winter camping. Suddenly Hijack came barreling down with the "I just chased deer" excitement in his eyes. We both then ran back to where Murphy first headed up and started running up hill in hopes to at least hear the howling again which has since faded. Then as I looked back down at the trail I saw Murphy trotting slightly confused as to why was going up since the deer were long gone. I was too happy to see him to be mad, and too cold to stick around any longer. Back to the car!

      The whole trip took 65 minutes and according to my iPod we covered approximately 6.8 miles, confirming that yes, we were in fact flying. Excellent run indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment