Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Warm enough for rain, warm enough to run!

Naturally, when it's 40F and raining, you might not put running at the top of the list of things to do. Let me suggest, however, you reconsider. Give it a chance. Once you hit the road, you might learn you actually like the rain and maybe even running. Okay it's easy for me to say, because I love both. But cold and wet did not sound very appealing to me when I got home either, especially since it was already late. But I did it, got my shit together and drove to the Jordan River Trail on the west side. I figured lower elevation wouldn't have snow, and I really wasn't in the mood to run through slush.
Since it was 40F a left the socks at home and only wore 3/4 tights, which means the first half mile my toes started to stiffen and hirt. Like a charm though, passing mile marker 1 the toes thawed, and circulation returned my digits. See, all you gotta do is suck it up for just a little while and things get better :) Since my Nike pill is dead and I haven't been trusting the distance/pace tracker I decided to go by time, setting the goal at 70 minutes. Unfortunately before I ran even 30 minutes I came across the next major road crossing, and since it was dark and I had no leashes I turned around. That and I left my phone in the car, and it was dark and empty and out on the Jordan River trail... Yea I might have been a little spooked. I really wished I had the phone, or a flash light. I could've kept going. But it wasn't till I hit 45 minutes when I realized that is how long it takes me to warm up. At 45 minutes the running didnt just feel good, I felt like I was gliding and no distance was too far. I felt like a gazelle, like a Tarahumara. The air was warm, the rain kept my skin cool and all you could here was the tap, tap, tap of the rubber soles against the wet pavement and quite jiggling of dog tags behind me. There was no effort on my part my legs were like a well oiled machine with unlimited fuel supply. I contemplated doing another loop, but then we past another man, this time on a bike that raised the hair on both of the dogs' backs. It was definitely time to head back to the car. Next time I'm bringing my phone and pepper spray, just in case. Not that a rapist would feel like chasing a runner with two big dogs. There are easier targets out there than us. Tomorrow I'm limited by work and yoga, but Saturday I'm running at least 45 minutes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment