Friday, December 30, 2011

2012 here we go!

Goodbye 2011, you were... Uneventful. On to 2012!
Thursday I made it to kim's power 1 & 2, which was a repeat of Tuesday's class... Arm balance awesome. The difference being, I didn't suck as much and didn't get flustered with the crazy arm balance flow. I even managed to get into stick on the left side, woohoo! Even scissored side crow is feeling more like yet another pose instead of my Everest of yoga. Given that I still rest my butt on my elbow. Lifting that will take some extra core strength which I don't yet posses. That's for 2012.

Yoga recap of 2011:
I can now do scissored side crow and hold it and if I focus I can get myself into stick and remain lifted for at least a little bit. Headstands I can now manage without a wall in sight and seems that I can stay inverted indefinitely. Improvements also came to side plank, I can't quite grab my foot but most of the time can lift the upper leg and maintain the pose.
My new favorite asana has become half moon, which at this point I feel I could do in my sleep, and almost always feel like doing. This is a change from starting yoga when tree dominated my life, and last year it was royal dancer which was my go to pose.

It was ridiculously warm for a Utah December day yesterday, 57F when I left work. There was absolutely no excuse not to go running, and run I did. Since the weather was so nice I pulled out the Vibrams instead of my Nikes. Running in the toe shoes is about 6,938 time better than running in normal running shoes. The run feels better, my legs feel better, and I can just keep on running. My feet did go a little numb from running throw snow slushy mud, but with numb feet I didn't feel the rocks I ran over as much :) The dogs and I did 5 miles at Millcreek, even they want to keep going at the 1.5 mile turnaround. When we got 2.5 miles out and I contemplated just running home with them instead of back to the car, but without leashes and with a desire to run again today, I decided to turn around and save our strength.
It's not nearly as warm today, down to 31F and there is some fresh snow dust at the house, so its back to the Nikes. Sad, but last time I tried to run in the Vibrams in the snow I lasted only a half mile before my feet started hurting and I had to turn around. Then it took another 30 minutes before they stopped throbbing, so no Vibrams when the ground is white.

2011 Running Recap:
Most importantly I discovered the Vibram Five Fingers. It's probably the best thing that has happened to my running. By discovered, I of course mean, that I got over how stupid they look and got a pair. Storey rocking them at our wedding so nonshalantly and reading Born to Run definitely helped in that decision. Hill running actually started happening for me this past year. I attribute this success again to the Vibrams. I'm not saying hills don't hurt, cause they do, like hell, but I can push through the burn and even maintain my pace for short climbs. Since previously each hill I encountered I would walk, I consider this a real running highlight for me. Of course the biggest achievement of 2011 was my birthday run. 14+ miles. Longest distance to date, and keeps me on track for my 50 @ 30 goal. Given that the last two miles were rather painful, and I was barely picking up my feet, but I finished and even went to work afterwards! 2012 will be an epic running year!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, your blog name is awesome. Also, you've confirmed my inkling that these toe shoes make good running shoes. w00t =)

    ReplyDelete